Wednesday, 20th October 2021
To guardian.ng
Search

Namibia’s chief negotiator says he expects deal with Germany to be signed

By DW
04 June 2021   |   3:02 pm
Germany's compensation offer to apologize for the colonial-era genocide against the Herero and Nama people has been rejected by some chiefs. Despite criticism, Namibia's top negotiator told DW the deal will go ahead.

Related

2 days ago
A young Congolese designed a wind turbine in his parents’ backyard in Kinshasa. It generates enough electricity for his household. Now, Francy Kalonji plans to expand production to supply his neighbors with electricity.
15 Oct
Saiga antelopes were one of the world's most threatened animals following a mass die-off in 2015. But with signs of a saiga baby boom on the steppes of Kazakhstan, it appears conservation efforts have paid off.
15 Oct
In eight areas of Germany, the incidence rate has crossed 500 per 100,000 people in 10- to 19-year-olds, according to the Robert Koch Institute. Follow DW for the latest.
15 Oct
The ex-apartheid fighters locked the ministers in a hotel room after failed talks over a compensation deal. Police arrested a total of 56 people after the incident.
4 days ago
A resolution is imminent in the dispute over more than 1,000 bronzes stolen from the former Kingdom of Benin. Germany wants to return all the objects to Nigeria.
2 days ago
Authorities in western Cameroon appealed for calm after a policeman killed a schoolgirl in the troubled region and was lynched by an angry mob.
2 days ago
One year after #EndSARS protests rocked Nigeria, police have warned against a repeat to mark the anniversary. The largest protest in Nigeria's history ended after the army reportedly killed at least 12 demonstrators.
3 days ago
The ex-apartheid fighters locked the ministers in a hotel room after failed talks over a compensation deal. Police arrested a total of 56 people after the incident.
1 day ago
Former Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo vowed on Sunday (October 17) to continue in politics "until my death" as he launched a new party following his acquittal by the International Criminal Court and return from a decade abroad. Gbagbo, president from 2000-2011, returned to Ivory Coast in June after being acquitted in 2019 by the Netherlands-based court on war crimes charges for his role in a civil war sparked by his refusal to concede defeat in an election.
2 days ago
As the world marks Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we examine the rising rates of breast cancer in Nigeria, Uganda and Malawi. Lifesaving information is often scarce and many patients lack access to adequate treatment.
6 hours ago
German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier spoke of the importance of fighting the ongoing threat of antisemitism wherever it appears, noting the crimes of the past had taken place in plain sight.
5 hours ago
In an exclusive interview with FRANCE 24, former Ivorian president Laurent Gbagbo discusses why he set up a new political movement after his old party, the Ivorian Popular Front (FPI), "lost its identity". Despite previously saying that he wanted to step back from politics, Gbagbo told FRANCE 24 that he hasn't ruled out running in the country's 2025 presidential elections and is firmly against a proposal that would disqualify presidential candidates who are more than 75 years old.