Friday, 28th January 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search

U.S. sanctions 17 Saudi officials after Khashoggi’s death

By Bloomberg
17 November 2018   |   5:30 am
The U.S. Treasury Department levied sanctions against 17 Saudi Arabian officials amid controversy surrounding the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Related

29 Jun 2019
Reactions to UN report on Khashoggi murder
14 Sep 2019
Riyadh initially offered multiple accounts about Khashoggi's disappearance, but later said the journalist was killed by rogue officials inside it consulate. The UN blames Saudi officials for his "premeditated" murder.
26 Sep 2019
Saudi Arabia's crown prince said he bears responsibility for the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi last year by Saudi operatives "because it happened under my watch," according to a PBS documentary to be broadcast next week.
23 Dec 2019
A Saudi Arabian court sentenced five people to death over the killing of dissenting journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi Arabia consulate in Turkey last year. Three others received lengthy prison sentences.
25 Dec 2019
Media watchdog Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Christophe Deloire says the death sentences against five Saudis for the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi were motivated by a 'desire to forever silence witnesses to or even the perpetrators of this horrible murder.'
28 Mar 2020
The suspects include two former aides to Saudi Crown Prince bin Salman. They're accused of orchestrating the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, an outspoken Riyadh critic, who was killed in the Saudi consulate in 2018.
22 May 2020
The sons of the murdered Saudi journalist say the family pardons those who were involved in their father's murder. The declaration could spare the lives of five convicted people sentenced to death.
3 Jun 2020
In May, the elder son of slain Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi declared that his family had "forgiven" those responsible for the killing of their father in October 2018. The announcement would give legal reprieve to the five Saudi government agents who have been sentenced to death for the brutal murder at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. But Khashoggi's fiancée Hatice Cengiz has since renounced that statement.
6 Jul 2020
The trial in absentia of 20 Saudi suspects accused of the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018, including two former aides to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, begins in Istanbul.
8 Sep 2020
Saudi Arabia has sentenced five people to 20 years in prison over the murder of dissident reporter Jamal Khashoggi, reducing initial death sentences. Three other people were also ordered to serve shorter prison terms.
21 Oct 2020
Hatice Cengiz and US-based group DAWN have filed a civil suit, pursuing the Saudi prince and 28 others for damages. Khashoggi was murdered two years ago when he entered the Saudi consulate to obtain marriage papers.
29 Nov 2020
Saudi Arabia's hosting of the G20 summit legitimizes the kingdom's human rights violations, Hatice Cengiz, fiancee of killed journalist Jamal Khashoggi, tells DW. She says the concerns go well beyond his murder.