Sunday, 22nd May 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search

Single bomber responsible for 2021 Kabul airport blast

US probe concludes that a lone bomber was responsible for the 2021 Kabul airport blast that killed 183, as thousands tried to flee Afghanistan when the Taliban seized power.

Related

5 Sep 2021
Australia pulled all its troops out of Afghanistan shortly before the bombings after receiving "very clear intelligence" of an impending attack.
30 Aug 2021
Family members Friday gather outside a hospital and collect bodies of their loved ones while others desperately seek information on missing relatives following the deadly twin blasts at Kabul airport. "One of my brothers was at the airport. He wanted to fly abroad. Unfortunately, he's missing after the back-to-back blasts," says one Kabul resident.
31 Aug 2021
The hardline Islamist Taliban celebrate their total return to power with gunfire after the last US troops flew out of Afghanistan to end two decades of war. Images posted by Ahmadullah Muttaqi, the Chief of Taliban multimedia branch, cultural commission, show the Taliban entering Kabul airport after US forces abandoned the frenzied airlift that saw more than 123,000 people flee life after the group's takeover.
2 Sep 2021
Hours after the final foreign forces flew out of Afghanistan, a group of Taliban leaders walked victorious through the airport, flanked by their elite "Badri 313" guards, to inspect what had been left behind. Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid -- tipped to be minister of information when a new government is named -- led a group of officials onto the runway, his usual stoic expression replaced by a broad grin. The special forces unit posed for pictures, brandishing US M-16 rifles and flying the Taliban's white flag. The atmosphere was one of triumph and victory, but all around was evidence of the chaotic withdrawal of US troops after a 20-year occupation, and the hurried evacuation of more than 120,000 people fearful of the Taliban's return to power
2 Sep 2021
Qatar's Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani says his country is working with Taliban to reopen Kabul airport "as soon as possible", during a joint press conference with his British counterpart Dominic Raab in Doha.
10 Sep 2021
Heavy police presence was visible in Quetta on Sunday after a suicide bomb attack took place, targeting a Frontier Corps (FC) check post killing four personnel and injuring 20. The attack took place on Sunday in Quetta, Pakistan near the Afghanistan border. Responsibility for the attack has been claimed by the Tehreek-e-Taliban (TTP). The targeted group, the Frontier Corps are an anti-terrorism unit stationed along the Pak-Afghan border Prime minister Imran Khan, condemned the attack and offered his condolences to the families of those killed in the attack in a tweet. “Condemn the TTP suicide attack on FC checkpost, Mastung road, Quetta. My condolences go to the families of the martyrs & prayers for the recovery of the injured. Salute our security forces & their sacrifices to keep us safe by thwarting foreign-backed terrorists' designs,” read the tweet.
9 Sep 2021
In a startling suicide attack being reported from Pakistan, the perpetrator allegedly drove a motorcycle into a security agency's vehicle. The incident occurred in Quetta, near the Afghanistan border. At least 3 security personnel were killed while around 20 people were injured, as per reports. Pakistani news outlets said the Balochistan Counter-Terrorism Department was at the spot to investigate.
16 Sep 2021
One month after the Islamists' "unimaginable" takeover of Afghanistan's capital, US items left behind in the airport are the remnants of the two-decade American intervention that ended in an "unthinkable" exit.
5 Oct 2021
Marines from the battalion that suffered ten casualties - nine marines and one sailor - in the August 26 Kabul airport terrorist attack return to their home base of Camp Pendleton, California.
8 Oct 2021
Dozens of people are believed to have been killed in an apparent suicide attack at a Shiite mosque in northern Afghanistan. No one has yet claimed responsibility for the blast.
12 Oct 2021
At least four were killed in the attack on the governor's convoy. Both he and the environment minister, who was also in the vehicle, survived.
15 Oct 2021
Heavy fighting claimed at least six lives and left dozens wounded in Lebanon's capital as an escalation of tensions around last year's massive portside explosion turned parts of Beirut into a war-zone. The army deployed tanks and troops to quell street battles that sparked memories of the 1975-1990 civil war for a city already traumatised by last year's blast disaster and Lebanon's worst-ever economic crisis.