Wednesday, 5th October 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search

North Korea confirms sixth nuclear test

By Reuters
03 September 2017   |   9:40 am
North Korea says its carried out its sixth nuclear test, this time using a newly built hydrogen bomb. The blast is the most powerful to date and caused a significant earthquake.

Related

28 Feb
Despite sanctions, North Korea has been steadily ramping up missile tests, firing a record number of weapons last month. North Korea fired a ballistic missile off its east coast on Sunday, South Korean and Japanese officials said.
21 Mar
North Korea has fired suspected artillery pieces into the sea, as it continued an unusually high pace of missile launches this year. It comes just days after a failed missile firing was carried out.
26 Mar
The measures come after North Korea said it had tested its biggest intercontinental ballistic missile yet. The UN Security Council is to hold an emergency meeting over Pyongyang's launch later on Friday.
29 Mar
The United States has urged the UN Security Council to levy heavier sanctions against North Korea in light of its latest missile tests, but Russia and China have called for restraint.
4 Apr
South Korea's defense ministry has said that North Korea fired an existing intercontinental ballistic missile and not a new one in last week's test launch.
18 Apr
North Korea celebrated its founding leader Kim II Sung's 110th birthday with a parade and performances. This year, however, there was no military parade during the celebrations.
28 Apr
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un vowed to speed up Pyongyang's nuclear development during a military parade to celebrate the founding of the country's armed forces.
3 May
North Korea launches long-range missile: DW's Frank Smith in Seoul
7 May
Some North Koreans are defying strict fashion and style regulations to fight conformity. But their expressions of individualism could cost them their freedom.
13 May
State media in North Korea has reported the deaths of six people with a "fever" a day after officials confirmed the country's first COVID-19 infection. More than 180,000 people are said to be isolated for treatment.
22 May
After more than two years of denying the virus had gained a foothold, Pyongyang is now struggling to handle thousands of suspected cases with limited medical capabilities.
22 May
North Korea on Sunday reported a total of 42 deaths from "fever" after admitting its first-ever COVID-19 cases days before. Lockdown policies have been implemented across the country, according to state-run media.