Friday, 1st July 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search

Münster bishop refuses to quit after sexual abuse report

The Catholic bishop of the western German city of Münster says he won't resign in light of a report that criticizes the way he dealt with sexual abuse. Felix Genn admitted mistakes but said he did not cover up anything.

Related

20 Oct 2019
In early 2019, activists broke the silence on sexual abuse in northern Nigeria. DW’s youth program. The 77 Percent travelled to Abuja to discuss the issue and find out what role social media played.
26 Nov 2019
Two priests convicted of sexually abusing deaf children have been sentenced to at least 40 years in prison. One was previously accused of abuse in Italy but was not sanctioned by the Vatican.
6 Jun 2020
Haitian football's sexual abuse scandal: A tangled web with Jean-Bart at its center
4 Aug 2020
In Cameroon, sexual abuse allegations have hit the Karate Federation. Our correspondents report on how many women are speaking out and seeking justice. But first, Zimbabwe has banned protests and deployed soldiers and police to clear the streets ahead of anti-government protests this Friday. There's been growing frustration about the leadership of President Emmerson Mnangagwa as well as allegations of growing repression. Finally, Kenya's 1500m world champion Timothy Cheruiyot is back on the racing track despite Covid-19 having put an abrupt halt to competitions.
14 Nov 2020
Pope John Paul II promoted disgraced former US cardinal Theodore McCarrick for years despite reports of sexual abuse. A new report details who knew what before Pope Francis defrocked him in 2018.
23 Mar 2021
A system of "silence, secrecy and lack of oversight" led to a lack of compassion for the victims of sexual abuse by the clergy, a German cardinal has announced.
14 May 2021
More than 20 women in the east of DR Congo say they were coerced into having sex with aid workers sent into their community to help them face an Ebola crisis. We speak to one of the investigators, Robert Flummerfelt. Also in the country, an anti-corruption coalition warns that DR Congo could lose up to $4 billion from murky mining and oil deals with sanctions-hit Israeli businessman Dan Gertler. And a grave dating back thousands of years has been discovered in Kenya, helping shed light on the cultural evolution of man.
18 Jun 2021
Dozens of women have filed a lawsuit in California accusing the adult video giant of promoting sexual abuse. In March, more than a hundred women had raised a criminal complaint against the owner of the parent company.
5 Sep 2021
29 Sep 2021
Some 30 women had accused WHO employees of sexual exploitation and abuse. Director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the allegations were "horrific" and launched the independent investigation.
10 Oct 2021
Nearly two dozen WHO employees have been accused of sexual abuse during an Ebola outbreak in Congo. The organization's main donors, including the US and EU, have called for accountability.
4 Oct 2021
The first of October means Britain is taking back control. As of this Friday, European travellers to post-Brexit Great Britain can no longer bring a simple ID card – they will have to show a passport. However, as petrol shortages continue, tempers are running short as lines get long. This Friday, around one quarter of British service stations ran dry, leading to scenes of shouting, fist fights and motorists hoarding fuel in water bottles.