Sunday, 17th October 2021
To guardian.ng
Search

I never made any negative comment about Patience Jonathan, says Wole Soyinka

By OakTV
12 January 2019   |   5:40 am
Prof. Wole Soyinka has said that fake news has the capacity to cause the Third World War, adding that it may come from Nigeria.

Related

26 Aug
Attackers shot dead at least 36 people and destroyed buildings in a night raid on a village near the central Nigerian city of Jos, officials said on Wednesday (August 25), in an area hit by repeated ethnic clashes. The gunmen went house to house killing residents in Yelwa Zangam late on Tuesday (August 24), a military spokesman said. Troops struggled to get to the area as a bridge had been destroyed, he added.
2 Sep
The attack on a remote village in the northwest of the country comes days after bandits released 90 pupils they had held captive. Police are searching for the perpetrators of the latest crime.
8 Sep
Nigerian army has announced that around 6000 extremists have defected in recent weeks, AP is reporting an increasing number of allegations of atrocities against Tigrayan forces, and we meet the Chadian artist turning bullets into brushstrokes.
13 Sep
Seventy-five children who were kidnapped from their school in Nigeria's northwestern state of Zamfara were freed after their abductors came under pressure from a military crackdown, a state official said on Sunday (September 12). Gunmen took the students from the village of Kaya on Sept. 1, the latest in a spate of mass kidnappings from schools across the region. More than 1,100 children have been abducted since December last year. Authorities say heavily armed gangs of bandits, seeking ransom payments, are behind the abductions.
14 Sep
Officials in Nigeria have said the students were freed with the help of several of their captors who had been pressured by a military crackdown to work with authorities.
27 Sep
Nigerian security forces have arrested three men accused of taking part in a mass abduction on Bethel Baptist High School in July. Gunmen kidnapped 121 students who were asleep in their dorm rooms. The attack took place just outside the city of Kaduna in the north-west of the country. One hundred teens have since managed to escape or were freed, but twenty-one are still unaccounted for.
2 Oct
The fundamentalist group, which now rules Afghanistan, put the bodies on display to deter others. The move comes after a Taliban founder said executions and amputations will return.
28 Sep
Gunmen have killed dozens of people in two separate attacks in Nigeria. Villagers in Kaduna and security forces in Sokoto state have fallen victim to suspected islamists and criminal gangs. Also on the show: In an industry dominated by men, we bring you a report on the women workers changing the landscape of the Central African Republic. Finally, we take a look at one of Libya's cultural jewels: Leptis Magna. An archeological site shunned by tourists due to the country's insecurity.
2 Oct
Social media users have been sharing images that purport to be of Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid. It's claimed they show he's leading a double life. The photos, supposedly, include him failing to wear a head covering and even posing alongside a woman who also isn't wearing a headscarf or veil. But by using reverse image searches and facial recognition technology, it's easy to see the photos are all of other people. The means to spot fakes are out there, but people have to want to look.
8 Oct
In recent days, two former African presidents have been the targets of fake news. In DR Congo, a photo of Joseph Kabila has been circulating with the claim he stood alongside the former head of the rebel group ADF, which has links with the Islamic State group. Another video, meanwhile, purports to show a crowd of supporters of Alpha Condé gathering in Paris... although the man they are shouting in support of is not the ousted Guinean president and it wasn't filmed in Paris at all.
8 Oct
Heavily armed gangs have been stepping up raids on schools and villages in northwestern Nigeria, often taking hostages for ransom.
3 hours ago
A photo showing an obscene-looking children's slide has been going viral on Twitter with the accusation it was erected at a playground in a Paris school and putting Mayor Anne Hidalgo once again in the line of fire. In reality, the tweet was a joke, but the more it was shared, the more confusion it caused.